Book Lovers’ Day is almost here. Last year, I talked about my favorite fantasy tropes. This year, we’re doing horror.

Best Horror Book and Movie Tropes

I prefer supernatural/paranormal stories. Give me a haunted location or a demon possession. It’s hard to find Hunter Shea’s books but I loved Forest of Shadows and Sinister Entity.  I’m currently reading Island of the Forbidden. The only copy I found online was a paperback for $50 so, I borrowed the ebook from the library. Then, we have ghostly short stories like The Dead Smile by F. Marion Crawford and The Tale of the German Student by Washington Irving. For those, I’d suggest checking out Book of the Supernatural edited by Stephen Jones and Great Ghost Stories edited by Chetwynd-Hayes and Stephen Jones.

Book of the Supernatural is a collection of stories supposedly chosen by H.P. Lovecraft. I read this collection before I learned he was racist. I loved Lovecraft. He influenced my writing but I doubt I’ll reread any of his stories. I’d reread Book of the Supernatural, though, because of the stories. They don’t read like Lovecraftian tales.

I also love alien horror but it’s so hard to find good ones like the movies Dark Skies and Altered. The Kaos Brief and Zone of Silence were pretty watchable. Man. VS was surprisingly good though you didn’t learn it was alien horror until the end.

We can’t talk about horror without mentioning Junji Ito. His manga doesn’t seem to fall into any horror category. I guess Uzumaki could be supernatural since the town’s haunted by spirals.  His stories are so trippy but so creepy.

And there’s this gem. I had to read it for class and was a bit annoyed it cost me about $50 but it was worth it.

Tales from the Crypt Horror graphic novel

Next, I’ll be talking about horror tropes that should retire. Stay tuned.

Share your book love

7 Comments

Carrmela Dutra · August 7, 2020 at 1:22 pm

I am not one for these type of stories but I do love the photos you take with your books. I believe everyone has a genera that speaks to them and I happy you have one that you love. Happy book lovers day!

Rosie Russell · August 7, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Auden, thanks for your suggestions on these stories.
I don’t read much horror books but I know many that do. I’ll be sure to pass these titles on to them.

Happy Book Lovers Day and have a great weekend.

Sandra Bennett · August 8, 2020 at 1:28 am

Hi Auden, I can’t read or watch horror, my hubby loves it, but I like to stay with something lighter. As for aliens, I like to think they are friendly, I don’t know why we have to portray them as something nasty and frightening that we have to fight. I’m glad you enjoy this genre though, have fun reading on Book Lovers Day.

Cat Michaels · August 8, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Mercy, Auden, like others have said, I’m timid about reaching for horror. (Last time I read anything by Stephen King, I couldn’t sleep for a week!) Love the infographic. You’ve got this trope nailed!

Rebecca Lyndsey · August 10, 2020 at 3:06 pm

I love ghost stories based on real accounts. I watch all the shows on the Travel Channel, like A Haunting, These Woods are Haunted and My Haunted House. I especially like reading local hauntings. We have one county here in WV where a ghost is actually documented in the court recordings as helping to solve her own murder.

Five Fun Facts and Quiz about Books for Book Lovers Day 2020 · August 7, 2020 at 10:04 am

[…] Auden Johnson – Best Horror Tropes in Books and Movies (Infographic) […]

3 Paradoxical Takeaways from Brené Brown’s Books - JulieSchooler · August 9, 2020 at 12:56 am

[…] Auden Johnson: Best Horror Tropes […]